Welcome to the school health services
All schools have a school health service with a public health nurse. We conduct preventive health work and work to promote children and young people`s physical, mental and social well-being. We provide guidance, health examinations, vaccinations and follow- ups. We can also refer further if needed.
The public health nurse has an open door policy to all students – stop by for a chat. We have a confidentiality agreement. You can stop by the public health nurse without an appointment if you would like to talk. You can also call, send a text message or send an e-mail.
Parents who would like to meet in person are also welcome to do so, please contact your public health nurse for an appointment.
Find your public health nurse at your school. (Norwegian website)
Do you need someone to talk to?
Overview over helplines and chat lines
We offer advice and guidance
The public health nurse at your school can offer both advice and guidance on physical, psychological and social well-being. You can talk to your public health nurse about school, sleep, nutrition, eyesight, hearing, sexuality, bullying, stress, identity, drugs and more.
You can also contact us if you have a friend in need of help or guidance. It can often help speaking with a safe adult, or a health professional.
Public health nurses are subject to the duty of confidentiality.
- Grade 1: Health assessment with the school nurse /with medical examination.
- Grade 2: Vaccine against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and poliomyelitis. (DTP-IPV) (Tetravac).
- Grade 3: Measurements of height and weight, Follow-up as needed.
- Grade 5: Mental health lesson .
- Grade 6:
- Vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR vaccine)
- Puberty lesson.
- Grade 7: Vaccine against HPV (Human papilloma virus, Cervarix). Two dosages.
- Grade 8: Health assessment by the school nurse. Height and weight measurements.
- Grade 9: Sexual Health Lesson.
- Grade 10: Vaccine against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and poliomyelitis (Boostrix polio) – students will receive their vaccination card by their school nurse.
Read about our vaccination program (Norwegian website)
We also provide:
- Targeted health examination with consent/request from parents (eyesight test and hearing test for example).
- Lessons on health related topics.
- Preventive work against genital mutilation in grade 1, 5 and 10.
- Parent meetings
What does this cost?
The school health services is a free service for all students ages 5-20.
Other services and other partners
BTI-team (Better Interdisciplinary Collaboration)
BTI stands for «bedre tverrfaglig innsats» (better interdisciplinary collaboration). This is a service for children, youth and parents, with difficulties in different areas of their life. The BTI team will aim to better these areas in order to improve their everyday life. Read more about BTI-team. (Norwegian website)
Friskere familier (Healthier families)
A service that provides guidance to families. The guidance focuses on themes like nutrition, activity, boundaries, food and feelings. Our focus is how you can make healthy changes within the family. Read more about Friskere familier. (Norwegian website)
The municipality offers free physiotherapy for children. The public health nurse at your school can refer your child to a physiotherapist. Read more about physiotherapy and occupational therapy for children. (Norwegian website)
Agder county is responsible for dental services. Dental services (Norwegian website)
Utsikten (The view)
A group for children and parents were parents struggle with their mental health or addiction to drugs. Many children have a hard time when their parents are struggling. Many experience comfort in meeting others who face the same challenges. Read more about Utsikten (Norwegian website)
Fritidskortet + (Leisure Card)
An offer for children from ages 6 – 18. You receive up to 1000NOK every 6 months to cover fees for an optional leisure activity. The leisure card if for personal use. Read more about the Leisure card. (Norwegian website)
Laws and guidelines